Today is the first Saturday I can think of that I have had a chance to be completely still in quite some time. That is a huge reason why I put my photography business on hold for the month because we have so many extra family activities this time of year and school is proving to be more difficult to keep up with at times. During the month of December we wrap up a load of school work before the time off and we have a few extra projects to complete.
I love the Christmas season and I love taking time to be still throughout it, finding places that my family can serve others, and opening up our home more often for gatherings of family and friends.
Today, I find myself having the rare chance of actually getting a few hours of quietness, peace, and rest. Greg took the three older ones on an outdoor adventure and the youngest two seem to be fighting colds so they are taking extra long naps and staying indoors today. On any other day I would want to head out all together, but I was actually thankful for the chance to stay home and be still. I have even neglected the dishes for now and have enjoyed complete rest even though I know the pile of dirty dishes is staring at me from the other room. Normally that too would bother me and I would not be able to sit until it was all done...but today it doesn't :) There's freedom in that, I think. :)
Today I chose to burn a fire in the fireplace and curl up to a good book.
I love some things that I have been reading. I have started a second book by Francis Chan called "Forgotten God: Reversing the Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit." I picked it off of the "What's New" section at the bookstore after I thoroughly enjoyed Crazy Love.
Here is something that stood out to me today:
"In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16
Chan adds after this verse: "It is possible for us to be doing incredible things for the Kingdom yet have people give glory to our Father rather than to us.....when the Holy Spirit moves, God is the one praised. Jesus is the one lifted up. When the Spirit moved at Pentecost, people knew there was a power present that came from God. That's why they didn't leave saying: "John is amazing! He learned a new language in a matter of seconds!" They knew it had to be God."
I stopped after I read this to reflect on those words. When the Spirit moves, God is the One praised.
It's one thing to hear someone say to me, "You are an amazing Mom...I don't know how you do it!" I can easily respond with..."Only by His Grace every moment of every day."
I honestly don't know how many times I have heard words similar to those. I can also honestly say that those words often make me uneasy. Just like the previous post on the makings of our family picture...I also grow uneasy when I repeatedly hear words like..."Your are so gifted and talented." or "You are so creative." The Lord humbled me and brought me to a place where I wanted our picture to be a reminder of the present times, not a reminder of my talent.
Those words praising me for "a job well done" leave me empty.
They mean absolutely nothing.
Deep within me my Spirit longs for nothing more than for my God to be praised.
Not me.
In fact when I hear these words I become increasingly uncomfortable where I am or if I hear them from someone repeatedly, I often want to distance myself. It's even worse when I hear them from someone that I just met, because I often wonder..."How do they even know the REAL me?" I become uncomfortable not because of my sense of humility, but because I know how dangerous my pride can be.
"When the Spirit moves, God is the One praised."
I can personally think of times when speaking with another believer that I was prompted to give God complete glory for a situation that could be seen by the world as a great accomplishment by that individual. I can think of someone right now who is walking through cancer and every time I see her, all that falls out of my mouth is something like, "God is good and His mercies are new every morning. I can see His light shining through you." The Spirit prompts me to speak those words because He is so clearly at work and evident in her life that He DOES RECEIVE all the glory.
"When the Spirit moves God is the One praised."
I want to lead a Spirit led life so that others may look at me and bring praise to Our Father, not me.
I want others to see Him. Not Me.
It is my prayer that my light may shine in the darkness so that others may look at my good deeds and praise my God in Heaven. Not me.
When a client looks at their photographs I want them to first be in awe of the beauty God has given to them, to their family and in the evidence of His creation.
I want others to see the evidence of His strength and grace in my life as we raise these children during these short days. I want others to look at our family and see the Fruit of the Spirit, not me.
I don't want it to be about me.
Because when it is, I know in my heart that I am wasting my time in this world.
No comments:
Post a Comment