The pictures of Haiti leave me in awe. Greg and I have been there several times. Greg more often than me. His dad has always been actively involved there with medical support, orphanages and schools. His dad has lots of friends there. He has planted many seeds for many many years of his life. In fact, he travels there so often that the kids know quite a lot about Haiti and Caitlyn reminds ME to pray for him sometimes when her "Papa" is over there.
I have spoken to all of the kids about the earthquake there. I have sorted through pictures off of the Internet to show them of disaster that has taken place there. I wasn't planning on it, but as we spoke of it and prayed for the people there, Caitlyn kept asking me, "SO how do we KNOW that this happened since it is so far away from us?" To which Micah added, "Yeah, How do we know that the buildings fell down?" When we first spoke of it, the first question out of Micah's mouth was: "WAS Papa there?"
I find it so heart breaking to think about the Haitian people who have been devastated by this disaster. I also find it amazing to consider how the Lord uses something like this to work in the hearts of people all over the world.
It's a great opportunity to talk to my own kids, even though we are so far away, about why things like this happen, and how even during the darkest of times God is with us and we have nothing, absolutely nothing in this world to fear. We become more focused on the fact that, although we have a nice and comfortable home, there are people around the world who are hurting, starving and sick with no help.
As we spoke I could see wheels turning in Caitlyn and Micah's little minds. I ask them what we could do to help. We talked some more about praying and giving money to help provide food, water, and medical supplies there for people who needed it.
I told them that their Papa and Uncle and close friend and others we know would be going soon to help. To this, Caitlyn responded with, "I wish I could go to help!"
I can't wait for that day to come! And, I am SO thankful for a little girl with a heart of giving!
If you would like to help a great organization and support our close family and friends who will be working over there, here is a great organization to give to:
Harvest International
3711 NE 42 LN
Ocala, FL 34479
mark your gift with: "Haiti Orphan Relief"
No comments:
Post a Comment