Well, there is peace after a bit of a storm. Storms are never very fun, but yet now that I am on the other side of it, I see bits and pieces of provision and faithfulness that lead me to a greater appreciation for my Savior. For it is He alone who carries me.
Our family has been on some what of a wild journey. Two summers ago we helped start a school. Really, we were just part of the founding families. It is a school that I have come to love. I truly care about the families there and I have learned that I love education! It has been a more difficult journey than expected, but every step that has brought tears has also brought joy. I am sure that I have referenced the school a number of times, but there really are no words to describe the journey the Lord has taken us through during the start-up of the school. I would still say that to this day we are very much still a part of the start up process. We are currently in our second year.
I guess to make a long story short, this school that I love, that my kids love is now somewhat a part of our past. During the course of the year I have seen my sweet second grader struggle. With every step into the year it only became more difficult. I saw her love of learning vanish. I saw my family become more of a frantic place with mommy frazzled to the core. I saw us in a sense lose the simplicity of our family life. I saw the relationships of my kids struggle. I began to see a cycle of dis-unity, disrespect and just plain bad attitudes. I wanted peace for our family and I wanted that love of learning back in my kid.
Two weeks ago I told Caitlyn and Micah that we were going to take a break from the school, and by a break I mean that we were going to stay home and fully do school here. They only attend two days a week and are homeschooled the rest. I prayed that entire week, sought out wise council, talked to Caitlyn's teacher, but most of all talked to my Lord. By the middle of the week I knew what my next step of action was supposed to be. The Lord was giving me clear signals all around that we were supposed to pull our kids out of the school that I love, and begin to fully homeschool every day of the week. I would say that the whole week of praying was definitely a challenging time and the hardest decision I have had to make as a parent. It was no fun.
Fast forward to this week: AMAZING! I am so thankful that even though there are times when we feel blind that the Lord still leads us. I am thankful that He gives us a small glimpse of fruit produced in the process. I am thankful that I owe no explanation to man for the things that I do or the actions I commit, when I am committing them 100% to my Lord.
As I mentioned, I have come to love education. I love reading about it, love learning from other educators, and love knowing how simple it is. I love seeing my kiddos enjoy learning, and I love learning myself! I love to read to them, with them, anytime and anywhere. I love that one can learn SO MUCH simply by picking up a living book. I love seeing my kids enjoy learning. I love watching them think, grow, discover something for themselves. I love getting dirty with them, and I love spending the afternoons getting sweaty with them by running and playing hard. Everything that we have done in the past couple of weeks are all of the things that I was missing. That our family was missing. I want to educate the whole child. Teach them how to grow a veggie garden, clean the kitchen, mow the grass, create something for dinner. I love the challenge of using what I have around the house to create something vs. being given a list of things that I need to go buy in order to create something assigned for some particular project. It just wasn't me, and it just wasn't working for my family.
In the past two weeks I have seen attitudes change to the core. I have heard "Yes Ma'am" more time than I can count. I have seen siblings work together, learn together, and play together. We have had time to read The Trumpet of the Swan together and every child sits and listens with respect. We are almost done with the book and last night when everyone was upstairs playing I came to the living and saw Cailtyn under a blanket finishing the last two chapters. I love that all throughout the day someone will ask, "Mommy read more!"
While I know that we have a long journey ahead, and this season of pure homeschooling may not last long, I do know one thing: I have seen simple education work. And, by simple I mean reading, discussing and writing down a summary of thoughts. To that we add a phonics program, spelling program and Math program. But we read about science, history and all kinds of other things from real books!
I have been healed to see my kids work together and care about the house because they have time to play together. Today, Cailtyn spent almost two hours cleaning and cooking in the kitchen and collecting/sorting laundry from all around the house. This never took place before, because by the end of the school week she was fried. Today, as we worked side by side, it was so much fun!
This is a new journey and one that I would never trade for another job in the world, or even a more pampered lifestyle.
That's just where I am, where He has led our family. And I am thankful for every step in this journey.
Hey Kristin. I have been thinking of you, your dear family, and praying for you since we last talked a few weeks ago. How precious to read of the journey He has taken you on, where He's taken you from, and where you are now, and look ahead to the future! All you need is "the next step" and direction from Him, one step, one decision, at a time, and the peace that follows knowing you are in HIS path when you were in the school and the peace that comes where you are now, both are HIS love & care for you! So neat to read of the beginnings of a new & exciting journey. love & blessings~
ReplyDelete