Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Our days...School, friends, LIFE!!!

Our days are many times filled with messy faces and messy hands...


Yesterday we spent time down at the river with family and friends. My kiddos had such a fun day!

















Another messy face picture...





She LOVES strawberries and will eat the stem and all if you let her!



























Love this little guy...




Sweet girl...full of energy to EXPLORE and pick up any kind of bug. I think that is one reason why Micah loves to be with her. He rarely asks to be around a girl as he is surrounded by sisters, but last night as I was tucking him in bed he said, "Mom, sometime do you think that Aubrey could just come over to play with me...just me? I think she is a good friend."




I'm gonna miss this gal! I seriously laid in bed awake last night fighting back
the tears Non! Cailtyn and I had a long conversation about our friends moving away. She was sad and it made me so sad thinking about it. Your family means so much to us!

Love this little guy...


Sweet girl...


I love seeing these two together...







One reason I keep up with this blog is for my own personal place to journal with pictures. I love to collect ideas from others and learn from what works for others who are teaching at home or in the school. Here's an idea that Ladonna reminded me of not too long ago. It makes so much sense!




During our "school hours" I like to spend time opening with a "big group discussion." We look at scripture, discuss our needs/prayers. Think about and discuss how we can pray for others, read a book, etc.




Then, for most of our school day I like to spend one-on-one time with each child. I know this will change over time, but for now they are all at the stage where I need to be engaged!!!
I have programs that I am working with each of them on. I love the one-one-one time, and so do they. I usually start with the little ones and work my way up. I don't remember where I heard this from , but thought it was great advice. The little ones will get their "love cups" full, and then they can focus better on something else. i find this to be very true on most days. :-)
So, here's my answer to "How do I keep everyone else engaged in something else?"
WE have stations set up on towels.

I set a timer for them to work at each station, and then we rotate. I work with another child and they take turns at each station. The towel gives them a boundary to work on. And, I can even train my second to youngest this way with a lot of time and patience! Now, she knows where she is supposed to be and what she is supposed to do.


Cassidy staying focused on her work :-)


Micah's Circle ARt:


Another thing I try to do each day is take breaks that are fun! Today we put on some music and ran around or danced with a bean bag on our heads (Well, the kids did). The kids tried hard not to keep it from falling off.
I like to play classical music around here. Thanks to i tunes you can customize a collection that you like to use. Here are some of our favorites from today:
1. Mozart:Eline Kleine Nachtmusik (I. Allegro)
2. Tchaikovsky; Nutcracker Suite (Russian Dance)
3. Mozart: Symphony in D (III. Presto)
4. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake (Dance of the Swans)
5.. Mozart: Horn Concerto No.3 in E-flat Major
I don't know why exactly, but whenever I put classical music on (especially in the car) it keeps my kids busy and less noisy. They spend so much time and energy "conducting" in their own little way that it gives their hands and their bodies something to focus on.


Micah likes this game because he gets to run around!


And just because I want to remember a little one in my arms....
























2 comments:

  1. LOVE this post! So helpful. I've been thinking lately about how I can help Heidi with her lessons and still get some time in to do some things with Hallie. I love the "stations" idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds similar to my days. I don't have stations on towels, but I do have "stations" when I'm working one on one with each child. It's usually something to DO, something to LISTEN to, and something to WRITE/DRAW.
    Every day is still such an adventure!!!
    Looking forward to schooling some still through the summer, but at least a little less, so a lighter load.

    ReplyDelete