And it had nothing to do with me or what I taught her!
Multiplication has been a huge struggle this year. And, because she was starting third grade Math and third grade Math seems to revolve around learning the foundations of multiplication, she struggled quickly in her third grade work. Every time I tried to explain it we hit some very frustrating times. This led me back to working with her in her second grade book (although she really had no knowledge of this.) And, I was hoping and praying that a little extra time and confidence building would help strengthen her and prepare her.Today, as we were talking about the scriptures that we read in Proverbs, we talked about the Fear of the Lord being the beginning of knowledge and wisdom.
We read: "My Son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you,
turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding,
and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding,
and if you search for it as a hidden treasure,
then you will understand and fear the Lord
and find knowledge in God.
For the Lord gives wisdom and from His mouth come understanding."
Proverbs 2:5-6
We talked about these verses specifically as it applies to our spiritual growth as well as our growing knowledge in school matters. We talked about the Lord (fearing Him and loving Him) being the Lord of our whole beings- bodies, minds, and souls. We discussed that when we don't understand something...anything from scripture (in our hearts) to reading and math (in our minds), the Lord holds every answer for us, and when we commit and go before Him, He can reveal those matters to us. He can reveal them to us in His time.
At the time we were discussing these verses I specifically thought about Caitlyn's frustration with multiplication. I simply prayed that He would allow her to understand this concept soon so that we could focus on her third grade work- in His time.
Literally, about two hours later, in the course of working on her literature, she randomly asked: "what is 5 times one? Is it five?"
"I think I get it!"
I heard her exclaim.
I was sitting with Micah at the time and was shocked. I put it on the board again like I had so many times before...only this time she got it clear as day!
We went through:
5x1=5
5x2=10
5x3=15
5x4=20
etc.
She got it. Miraculously she got it!
She was rushing to answer the problems before I could write them down.
Then she continued to tell me "10x1=10, 10x2=20, 10x3=30,etc!"
She did it holding her hands tightly over her eyes hoping that a glimpse from the board would not beat her to fully understanding it in thought.
Then she asked me what 10x100 was.
"Is it 1000?"
She asked.
I am still blown away.
"Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed."
I have always viewed education in light of the fact that the foundation of truly knowing anything is first fearing and knowing the Lord.
I am continuously amazed and blown away at His faithfulness,
and truly know that so many things
have nothing to do with me,
but everything to do with
Him.
Beautiful moment! Wow! 10 x 100 is amazing to get so quickly! Makes me smile and fills my heart when God so clearly and perfectly answers our prayers, especially when our young ones are learning to trust His Word. How beautiful...
ReplyDeleteLIKE this very much. LOVE it when a light bulb comes on and you can thank GOD for the wisdom (& patience!) HE gives!!!
ReplyDelete