Thursday, March 18, 2010

Springtime, homeschooling, motherhood and more...


Well, week four of pure homeschooling is going great. I guess I have done too much reading and research when it comes to education. This year I have come to truly define what I see education to be for my family at this time, and who knows, maybe next year it could be a little different! I have just decided that learning a little bit about a bunch of things is a waste of my time and my kids time... not to mention, I believe that it is frustrating for them. I want them to know great information, not just skim the surface of ideas. I want them to experience education, and especially in these early years, I want them to have fun!! My goal for the remainder of the year will be to learn a bunch about some great things. We started with a garden project. This required more reading and research...I have never grown a single thing from a seed in my entire life! Pathetic, I know.


So, we have gone to work, and have seen small sprouts of our efforts. The kids were so excited. They are collecting their work in a picture/writing journal. This has been such a fun activity!




Caitlyn wrote our labels...


Another challenge I have given myself is to only do projects that we can create and produce from things around the house. So, for our study of Rome, we have made a model of an aqueduct out of salt dough and we also plan to make some "chariots" out of cardboard boxes. I think we will even plan a chariot race after we decorate and design them. I love the challenge of using what we already have, not to mention that it saves me both time and money. :-)




We have gotten dirty, enjoyed each others company and learned so much already! Another thing I have changed about our homeschooling days is memorization. Caitlyn has memorized three poems and we have spent a lot more time memorizing scripture. It is amazing to me how easy it is for the kids to memorize. And, often, Caitlyn will say what she has memorized throughout the day without being prompted or asked. We are also starting our second classic read. I love how the kids ask time and time again throughout the day to "read more." And, when we finished Trumpet of the Swan, they were so upset because they wanted more of the story. We are sticking with E.B. White for now and have started Stuart Little. Everyone seems to like stories about animals.



Caitlyn has been working daily on watering and looking after each plant with care. Sometimes the others help, but most of the time they just watch.





We have also spent a great deal of time outdoors with this beautiful spring weather! Flowers are popping up everywhere, and I have a collection growing in glasses in my kitchen. I love how the kids get so excited about picking the smallest flower to give to me.












Even with all of the fun and freedom I am feeling with homeschooling, there are still plenty of daily challenges. Every time I think I have motherhood "all figured out," I find myself filled with so many doubts and questions, or I find myself scrambling around trying to find clean socks for everyone to wear ( I can't wait until it's officially flip flop season!).
I have very slowly finished the first 3 chapters of Season's of a Mother's Heart by Sally Clarkson. I love these quotes:
"My children will never again be just the way they are now. I don't even know if we'll all be here together next Christmas, or even next week. But I do know that we are a family now, today, at this moment, and I can celebrate each moment as it unfolds. It's my choice.
My joy isn't dependent on keeping my house as orderly as I would like, or accomplishing anything and everything on my to do list. My joy is dependent on my relationship with my Lord and our celebrating together this life that He has given me."


"The parts of life that matter the most are the unexpected moments and memories that happen each day- the ones that won't be forgotten."





Motherhood requires me to daily change my will. Set aside my self. Sacrifice what I want to do for how I can serve my family. Shed the unnecessary items on my agenda or "to-do" list. Years from now I won't remember how many pairs of socks I folded or how clean my house was. I will remember the memories I made with my kids. We will remember our first little garden project and the first great book we read together. We will remember the races we had outside and the hours we spent jumping on the trampoline. The challenge comes when I strive to find the balance of keeping a clean and organized house and also allow time for simply enjoying life with my kiddos.







"Dedication requires sacrifice. Any homeschooling mother who truly dedicates her life to the godly calling of motherhood knows, without having to be convinced, that her decision will require significant and possibly life-changing sacrifices on her part. The biggest sacrifice for me has been in the areas of relationships. Once I dedicated my life to Biblical motherhood, I very quickly found myself crashing into relational barriers where before there had been none. All of a sudden I was "too committed" to my home and family and not involved enough in outside activities that would provide my children a balanced life."
"I take some solace, though, in knowing that my sacrifice is like a seed that will produce fruit I cannot yet see."
"By God's standards, it is a worthy sacrifice that will yield a harvest of righteousness."


Putting aside my self does not mean neglecting my self. I am also making an effort to wake up before my kids to spend time in the Word and prepare for the day. This has been difficult with the time change, but also requires the discipline to head to bed earlier!










I love Spring. It is a new beginning. A reminder of life. A reminder of our Creator. A reminder that He who dresses the flowers of the field will provide even more for me.




Motherhood is a stretching of my faith. Daily. It is truly a daily test of "denying my self." It is more about the unseen and eternal than it is about the things that are seen, like the dirty laundry.



But most of all, Motherhood is about a Savior who graces us for every moment. Grace for even the crazy moments when the product of a dirty diaper is running down a toddlers pant leg and has tracked all over the kitchen floor. Grace for those moments when we really feel like "losing it." Whether it is losing our minds, our tempers, or our joy.
Even in those moments, I believe He gives mothers grace beyond measure. He alone provides us with contentment and joy. And, even if we are swimming in dirty diapers, we can consider ourselves clothed like the flowers are clothed in beauty.
Only by His grace. :-)






















2 comments:

  1. Awesome Kristin! You guys need to come take and educational trip east! Talk about making history fun!!
    Sounds like the schooling is going great! I've been challenged to have my children memorize more scripture... kill 2 birds with one stone errrrr uhhhhh well, I mean develop their memorization skills and give them a firm foundation in scripture that can never be taken away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all those quotes. When what really matters is at the heart of the matter, nothing else really matters!!! Wait, did that sound confusing? It's late....but anyway, I can see God is giving you memories, exciting learning times, and fun ways of doing both of those! We need to get together sometime soon! blessings~

    ReplyDelete