Thursday, June 17, 2010

Conflict and Love.

I remember as a pretty young child reading that verse in James 1:5,"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."
Little did I know that at that time of prayer (and many times I prayed for it since then!), that often times learning wisdom, comes through hard and difficult circumstances. I pray for wisdom daily, when it comes to leading my kids, being a faithful wife, mother and friend. There are more times that I fail than suceed.

I pray daily that I would learn to love my Father more and those He has daily placed in my path. I pray this for each of my family as well.
I have seen some painful and difficult times recently, but one thing I have learned over and over again: He is faithful.

I have also learned the power of unconditional love in the midst of conflict. Conflict is painful, but necessary. Here's what He has taught me:
1. "For all have sinned..." In every conflict, there is wrong on both sides.

2. It is my choice to become offended, upset, bitter and angry. My choice alone. Every day I could be hurt and offended for anything and everything if I wanted to. But it is my choice.

3. Communication is very complex. "He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin." Proverbs 13:3. I must always think before I speak, and not let my emotions drive what I am saying.

4. "All have sinned." In every conflict, sin is present. On both sides. It is my choice to love unconditionally, just as Christ has loved me. It is my choice to LOVE, and to truly love someone in the midst of a conflict, it means dying to myself. Putting aside my anger, fears, hurt and allow LOVE to carry me.

5. "And so we know and rely on the love of God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him." 1 John 4:16
To me, this means ALL or NOTHING. I cannot truly love my kids when I am not showing love to a brother or sister in Christ. When a seed of anger, hurt or frustration is planted within me, it only overflows to my daily life. When I lack love in my life, I cannot even love the ones that I want desperately to love.

6. Every conflict between believers is an opportunity to show the world the LOVE of Christ. Again, it is my choice whether or not I will follow His Word.

7. A conflict that does not concern me, does not concern me! I have no business digging in other people's business! But, what I can do when I hear of a conflcit between believers is PRAY. The enemy seeks out to steal, kill and destroy, and I believe he likes to be most active in the midst of relationships. After all, this life is all about having a relationship with our Creator and Savior, and for every hurt, dissapointment and fear, he can plant a seed to distrust the very ONE who has called us.

8. My heart aches for eternity, to live in unity with the One who has called us, but I must be content and live as Paul did, knowing that it was better for him to stay on earth as long as the Father kept him here.

No comments:

Post a Comment